On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, JARED WILSON wrote:

> I agree, out side of the new plus 8 track (Electric Deluxe) I have not been
> to impressed with Detroit releases.  I would say that the most avant techno
> of late has come from the likes of Marco Carola, Gaeton Parisio, and even
> some Adam Beyer releases (specifically the release on Conform "Lost and
> Found"??).  And even the previously mentioned music is still just a
> "refined" techno.  I think Detroit has become stagnant, but do not get me
> wrong this is not a negative view.  I think the next few years will be very
> exciting for Detroit music and look forward to some of the "next generation"
> producers.  Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I'd disagree to some extent.  Although maybe not as prolific as it has
been for the majority of the past two decades, there are still some good
sounds coming out of Detroit.  I have been enjoying a lot of the Ersatz
Audio stuff of late (it just pulls my retro industrial/new wave
heartstrings). :)  Perspects - Desire & Efficiency is a beautiful
track.  Although not exactly "avant garde" (what truly is?), it does add a
modern feel to an old sound.  UR also has some nice tracks in their
S.I.D. series (which includes everything from minimal techno to classic
electro).  And although I'm not a huge ghetto-tech fan (I did enjoy Disco
D's I.R.S on Contaminated), Detroit is definately at the center of it.

And how dare you say that Detroit is stagnant so soon after DEMF!? ;P

I've mainly been focusing lately on collecting classic tracks that I
consider to be groundbreaking, but as for recent techno (within the
last couple of years) that I've considered to be "avant garde", it would
have to be the stuff coming from Neil Landstrumm, Christian Vogel, Daze
Maxim, Justin Berkovi, and related artists.

just my .02