In a message dated 12/08/00 2:20:02 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Music evolves but it always doesn't move forward.
>  Don't base progress on trends.

Stephen,

If it doesn't move forward its devolution. Music evolution is the gradual
movement from one state to another - not neccesarily better, but not
neccesarily backward either.
Just take some extra time to think about it.

And progress is a relative term isn't it? Some people like to see music
progress in terms of Top10 commercial charts - some others see it as real
innovation from one state to another. Such as the evolution from experimental
electronics of the 70s (Kraftwerk, Neu, Ashra Temple) toward the
electro-techno synth movement of the 80s (Cybotron, Cabaret Votaire, Depeche
Mode).

Never was stated that the current musical progress in Detroit was based on
any present trends, because there are far and wide comparisons if one happens
to mention the Archetype release which is heavily saturated in hard techno,
the current Shake releases which are laced with hip hop grooves - and say,
the latest Theo Parrish album which is a deep forray into minimal techno and
house.

Nonetheless, the only trend that I think is evident today seems to be that a
lot of people who weren't getting into Detroit previously are embracing it
more then ever now. (e.g DEMF) Is this progress???

>  >They are becoming to intricate and sophisticated
>
>  Yeah, I hate it when people say KDJ, Theo Parrish, is the future of
>  Detroit techno.
>  I know the funky organic tech-house sound is very trendy right now,
>  people use the word "soulful" like its going out of style but who do you
>  think your kidding?
>  I'm sure Kevin, Juan, and Derrick could have easily looped disco
>  classics on some primitave one shot sampler if they really wanted to, or
>  used funky organic acoustic drum sets but that wasnt TECHNO.
>  An 808 through some gated reverb sounded much much better.
>  TECH-TECH-TECH-TECHNO MUSIC.

What is wrong with empowering amazing artists like Kenny Dixon Jnr and Theo
Parrish with the future of Detroit. They have been part of the scene for a
while now and creating some of the most innovative works coming out of
Detroit now. They make a different kind of techno music and perhaps that's
what's grabbing the ears of many right now. The future of Detroit not only
belongs to Kenny and Theo, but all the many great artists that helped shape
its structure, and who are still currently making music - Stacey Pullen,
Kenny Larkin, The Burden Bros. , Sean Deason, Rolando, Anthony Shakir, Claude
Young, Jeff Mills, Robert Hood, Terence Dixon, Heath Brunner, Jay Denham...

A_Zed