> What do u mean by "truly innovative".  I think that
> there is nothing in between something that is
> innovative and something that is not.  Innovative is
> just making changes in anything established.  So i
> cant see why Carl Craig isn't innovative, u just have
> to listen to "Innerzone orchestra Programmed".
>
> sam

Brian Eno has borrowed a very interested theory about cultural
innovation from the academic world. He does not believe that innovation
is a singular personal process, rather, it is a larger process of
"cultural composting." In other words, there are no new musical ideas,
but the more records that are made, the more these ideas pile up and
cross breed with one another. Eventually those records become forgotten
about, but the ideas they contained were broken down, and went on to
become the building blocks for new records, which will be eventually
forgotten about...

The best way to explain this would be Detroit Techno. (big disclaimer,
RELAX, I LOVE Detroit music, take a deep breath and step away from you
computer before you flame me...) My favorite music in the world is
Rhythim is Rhythim, I love those records more than anything else out
there. Derrick May claims to be an innovator, but was he really? Derrick
May did not really invent anything, he never used any chords that had
never been used before, he never made any rhythms that did not
previously exist, he never used any sounds that had not been used
before...

What he did do is take a bunch of ideas that already previously existed
in different musical genres, and put them together in a way that was
personal to him. Detroit Techno is nothing but electro, italo-disco, new
wave, and funk thrown into a blender. Was Techno completely new? No, not
at all, it was a continuation of the African American musical tradition,
with elements of European electronic music blended in.

What he did was incredibly difficult, he took a bunch of different
ideas, from genres that most people would not think to put together, and
weaved those existing threads into something that was uniquely his.
Nobody is "truly innovative" they got their ideas from previously
existing records, and put their own personal twist on something that was
already there. Think about how much music was released between James
Brown's best moments in the 60's, and Juan Atkins' work in the
80's-early 90's? How different are they, how much are they the same?
Kraftwerk was 60 minimalism and James Brown, mixed with baroque
melodies, and what was going on in the 70's German electronic
scene...any musician who matters stole from their heros...is anything
really new and innovative?
Did Carl Craig not borrow from Derrick May, Hip Hop, and Miles Davis
through his various guises?

The point that I am trying to make is, that we really need to calm down
about who is and is not innovative. New music does not just appear out
of thin air, it grew out of the influences of the producers who made it.
Nobody in larger cultures writes music that does not make a reference to
somebody else. I love Detroit Techno, but like all genres, it grew out
of the past, it does wear its influences on its sleeve.

Take care,
Mike Taylor

--
 Michael Taylor : [EMAIL PROTECTED]