> This all seems a bit suspect to me. Unless I've read you wrong this is an
> effect of which most of its producers aren't even aware. Yet you contend
> that this is the basic appeal of the music?

Exactly, thus making it very unique music in the modern art world.  The
producers aren't aware (well, usually not, I believe Oliver Ho actually says
he tries to create toneshifts audibly, assuming that was really him I was
talking to!) of this effect because no one has really yet tried to examine
and define this art on a more scientific level, the producers are generally
sitting around making something they think sounds good, often never becoming
intellectually involved in their own art, for good or for bad.  Well, _why_
does it sound good, and _why_ is utter repeatition often tear jerking to
some?  Also, the basic appeal I said above resides in the listener and the
artist as he is being the listener too, NOT a creater in it's definition
being one who is in total control with a completed image as to his/her goal.
I am willing to bet that when Beyer makes a track he is more listening than
creating, he is toneshifting his own tracks while in the studio...

I'm sceptical of attempts to
> reduce any music to one principal, and I'm especially wary of it with
> regards to techno. Such reductionism surely hastens on a music's death -
in
> trying to justify a particular aesthetic formula you'll end up making
> formulaic music.

yes, very good point...

But there is danger in just letting something "be", for there is often a
world of knowledge in which a world of "newness" can derive from.  What if,
I contend, a new school in art is created based completely around
"toneshifts", and it is found that this can be achieved in words and vision?
What if this turns out that it can move into anything, and the school
creates what is know as "emotionshifting"?  Big thoughts yes, but to ignore
these possibilies in the protection of what is "now" is certainly
ill-progressive, IMHO...

> Bollocks. Detroit was after a great time with some great music.

OK, I am not from Detroit, I am simply referring to Kevin Saunderson's (or
Juan Atkin's, I have to go look again) words.  But I think "rave" and all
"techno" gained popularity for deep-seeded sociological reasons, aside from
simply have a good time, there is some real escapist mentality that
permiates all of this, and that shouldn't be discarded...

>I just think it's important to
> remember it just plays a *part*, you shouldn't wear it as goggles to view
> the world with, if you catch my drift.

here here!!! Good point indeed...

darw_n

"create, demonstrate, toneshift..."