What the hell is happening to 313? Why is it that a
small minority of posts are 313 relevant and every
post that starts on-topic meanders off in to Sweden or
MTV? Please let's keep the flames, the tempers, the
nazis and all the rest of that crap off list for a
while and see if there is some content to be had.

To try and get things stated, I'll provide a little
story that shows all is not destroyed in the *world*
of Detroit. I just moved to Baltimore and went to see
95 North and Lil Louis Vega in DC this last weekend
with a couple of fellow 313ers. Due to laundry
circumstances beyond my control, I was wearing my
f*cktrance shirt from DEMF in what I presumed would be
hostile [read: glow-stick infested] territory. Let me
pre-empt flames from those who may have been involved
with the making of the first shirts. Had I known, I
would not have bought my rip-off, not that I don't
like it still - it is a cool shirt.

So anyway, I'm chillin' on the dancefloor, trying to
get some dancing fuel in me, when a guy with an
ear-to-ear grin wanders up pointing and laughing.
Apparently the guy was from Detroit, he had a posse of
Detroit-lovers with him, and knew the shirt from DEMF.
All of this transpired in a city that's known for an
absence of techno.

I'm not really sure why that's relevant to on-topic
discussions, but it's got to be better than hearing
about Dickweed, BT, Moby or 313 race wars volume XII
(which has been discussed ad nauseum, at two-month
intervals for at least the last two years). This is
not the right forum for a sophisticated discussion of
race. It's a sensitive topic, and email is not the
right medium for clear communication with strangers
that may be half way around the globe. I'm sure there
are a number of better forums in which to discuss it
online. If nothing else, please take it private if you
want to start a discussion about race in music. It has
all been discussed here way too many times, usually at
a more sophisticated level than what we've seen
lately. Visit the archives if you don't believe me. Or
better yet, I'm sure we could *all* learn some more
about race if we took the time to read more books by
the people who devote themselves to working out the
most complex socal problems of our times.

And for God's sake, if you think you're "right" about
race, take a step back and realize it's like driving.
Everybody think's their views about race are "right".
Clearly, somebody's gotta be "wrong" if somebody's
"right", and it could be you. So please, take that
into consideration before you start flaming someone on
this list who is probably on a completely different
page of the racism learning curve. This is an
international community after all and race relations
are different everywhere. End rant. If anyone wants to
flame me now, please take it private. That's my point
anyway.

So, hoping to actually get back to 313, I checked out
supershere.com as suggested recently, and there are
some nice sets from Carl Craig, Derrick May, Colette,
Derrick Carter, Mouse On Mars and others. Well worth a
visit.

Focus!

Tristan