I think Stacey Pullen left by far the greater impression in Melbourne a
couple of weeks ago among a wider demographic!! He played for six
hours in Melbourne at the Innovator party along with Derrick Carter  -
and he played 'til he was so tired he was kneeling at the decks, and
it was sensational. It was an appreciative, sophisticated crowd and
the night had a great vibe. People are still talking about it!
*snip*
Derrick played deep and slipped in a few quirky R&B type records -
like Mary Mary's Shackles (Praise You), which is a uptempo gospel/R&B
track and a top 2 hit here, and The Artful Dodger feat Craig David. I
believe he played the Mayday mix of Jaguar, too.

Derrick Carter played an excellent set, but wasn't quite in the peak over-the-top form that he can be. I think he plays better to a club/party crowd... rather than a sophisti-rave crowd. In the last hour he broke it down with a loose jazz-style track, and then played some hard Chicago funk (like Little Louis' 'Original Video Clash')... which was a highlight!

Then Stacey played tech-house through to house and finished with a
drum 'n' bass track by Goldie (we think) and Stevie Wonder during his
encores. I am not sure if it's common practice elsewhere for DJs to do
encores but in the clubs they often do them here due to crowd
reception. Stacey received an ovation here - it was the bomb.

For most of Stacey's set (first 4 1/2 hrs) he played straight ahead
tech-house (Plastic City, The End-style etc.)... but his mixing and
personality projection was amazing. He played on 3 decks with a Pioneer
DJM 600 and what looked like a Pioneer EFX 500 (the multi-FX realtime
box with the jog-wheel), and he was in razor-sharp form... dropping out
frequencies, panning, filtering, cutting... dubbing out whole mixes for
minutes at a time, and then slamming all the frequencies back in.
ALL THIS PLUS... singing along to the tracks, clapping and busting out Kung-Fu moves with Derrick Carter (as Stacey cut the tracks up).

He completely blew my mind!

And then there was the (3+ !!!) encores... disco tracks, Stevie Wonder's 'All I Do' (i think it was the Roy Davis Jnr remake)...

Stacey rocked down the house (and even that's an understatement).

cheers
~Askew

PS. It's nice to see some discussion about the real $hit... instead of all the one-trick-ponies and trojan horses.