On 07/04/2009 16:06, Thor Teague wrote:
[soapbox]

I'm just going to get on a soapbox for half a second, won't make a
thing out of it.

Please enter the metadata into the mp3--preferably all of it but at
least put your name in the Artist field. Finding DJ 313kiddo's
HotCheeseJamz mix is a little difficult in even a modestly sized
library of 3,500 mp3's since the filename was called
uberl33tmix2009.mp3.

Please do not encode at anything lower than 256k.
Thought I'd chime in as a possible culprit. The one time I posted a longer mix at 320k I ran out of bandwidth and had to shell out on two sets of top-ups just so people could grab it - so I reduced it to 192k. The difference in file size is 130MB for my last mix. This isn't trivial for people with smaller storage devices (I sometimes use a 1GB mp3 player). My previous mix at 320k would have been 410MB!

It's a fair point re: metadata. You're right to complain, and I know I've forgotten to add it before uploading more than once - but why not just add it yourself if someone forgets to add it? It only takes ten seconds. Whereas re-uploading files without metadata can be a hassle if you realise that you forgot after the fact and have poor upload bandwidth. It's a bad excuse I know but perhaps it sheds some light on why it happens?

Cheers,

Tristan
=======
phonop...@phonopsia.co.uk