Programming of the fest has never been as good as in the first 2
years, and those that don't realize that, i don't know.  i say this
with all due respect to all involved this and recent years.  Comparing
a "detroit" fest that headlines marco carola, and had benny benassi,
to one in which the last poets's Umar Bin Hassan recited poetry with
Kenny Dixon and Derrick May is nuts.

One highlight for me was Mills' first time playing, when he got
slightly wizard on the decks.  (and when the mixer blew up, and dmay
got on the mic - drama is good sometimes).

And finally, a big mistake is the absence of DJ Hell.  He merits a
place on the lineup.  Maybe even a whole night or stage devoted to his
sound, from his punkier days to now, curated by him.  There's a reason
jeff mills is the international dj gigolo on gigolo 2, and its
annoying that that connection hasnt been brought to bear on the world
stage that the demf sometimes is when the music stands for itself.

I mean last year was a great year, but in my ears only because of a
few choice, hot moments at the fest, and a couple of parties that
stood out, like the friday night party at the works, and the matchless
Music Institute party.  A few of those moments and connecting with
friends is all i need.

-Alex

ps just remembered, whats up with omar s not playing (or is he?)