The Detroit Techno producers I've met are by and large pretty
hard-headed, straight edge guys.  A few, I know, are committed
church-going Christians, but they aren't so rigid as to stay away from
playing clubs and parties.  It seems that the mystic bent is confined
to a minority of artists, the ones you cite being from the UK.

I never really know how to take it, except I have more patience for it
from artists who I respect, e.g. Ken Downie.  When it comes to Gen P
Orridge, I think for him music has usually taken a back seat to saying
whatever ridiculous sh1t occurs to him, so long as it makes him the
center of attention.  I've listened to a lot of it, out of deference
to his involvement in several seminal projects, but once he got fake
boobs, I lost all tolerance for it.