Not really on topic for 313 but since about 1/2 the users on this list
are producers of some stripe...

Any more, with so much synthesis capability available inside the box,
most people don't keep a ton of outboard MIDI gear around.  Plus, many
modern devices that used to be MIDI only come with USB, so you can
plug them directly into the computer without a MIDI interface.

Consequently, the demand for serious multiport MIDI interfaces has
declined and as far as I know, MOTU is the only company still making
an 8-port MIDI interface. M-Audio & Mackie/Tapco makes 4 port units.
I have a M-Audio Midisport 2x2 which works fine, a friend of mine uses
the Mackie/Tapco 4 port with no trouble.

You can, of course, daisy chain MIDI devices, which will allow for 2
devices to share a port. You just have to set them up to respond to
different channels.  A MIDI Thru box lets you do this in a
easier-to-manage way -- it distributes the same MIDI line to several
outputs.  Kenton seems to be the last company making such an item, the
Kenton Thru 5.  There are a ton of different thru boxes floating
around on the used market too, dirt cheap, and short of water damage
or jack failure there's very little to go wrong with these.

It is easier if you're using old gear with possibly quirky MIDI
implementations, it's probably best to put it on it's own port -- the
stock Jupiter6 firmware only OMNI, meaning it ignores MIDI channel
numbers in the notes, so it pretty much has to be on its own channel.

And of course if you have a lot of midi on one midi output you run the
risk of timing issues, and it is a pain in the ass to make sure all
your external gear is set to distinct channels, and that your
sequencer is sending MIDI to the right port and channel, which means
that if you do have a bunch of outboard gear, a multiport device is a
very useful luxury.

Anyhow links -- all links to Audiomidi.com, who I heartily endorse as
a mail order vender.  Great prices, peerless service and tech support.

Kenton Thru 5: http://www.audiomidi.com/Thru-5-P11900.aspx
Tapco 4x4: http://www.audiomidi.com/Link-MIDI-4x4-Interface-P7969.aspx
M-Audio 4x4: http://www.audiomidi.com/MIDISport-4x4-USB-MIDI-Interface-P969.aspx
M-Audio 2x2: