Everybody interested in this stuff should go read the interview with
Rashad that Tristan linked. He says more than what Tristan quoted,
namely that he does make adjustments in the mastering room to avoid
phase problems, but they're usually so minor that the music isn't
changed much at all. Also, that severe phase problems (180 degrees)
are very rare. I would bet that most mastering engineers don't know
how to deal with phase issues as well as Rashad, and probably trip up
on phase issues he deals with no problem.