Of course we've always known that the D in Detroit stands for
Drama :)

It's a revealing series of comments.  I get the impression there is
still something of a mini-generation gap.  There are those who built
the party scene in the early 1980s when DD was the undisputed
flagship, and high level of DJ skills and all the party trappings are
rightfully points of pride.  And there are those who came in later
who were starting to focus more on making tracks as well as DJing.

But there was a disappointing series of hits on Juan, which at least
got a corrective from Mike Clark's precise recounting of the
battle-that-couldn't-have-happened.

I look through the list of commenters and see so many people who
contrbuted to the music that we have all been able to appreciate.
There is nothing unusual about competition in a musical context,
and all the resentments that build up in a local music scene, well,
that's always going to happen.  It's just too bad that respect was
so hard to earn then, and still is today.

fh