Sharivari is always cited as the first Detroit Techno record, but
given that it's a matter of weeks between when Sharivari was cut and
when Alleys was pressed, it is probably better to award a tie.  This
also happened years before Juan talked to the UK music press and the
term 'techno' was coined.  So neither one was 'techno' at the time
because there was no 'techno.'

It's a bit like the earliest Hip Hop, before it was 'hip hop' -- the
guys doing it thought they were making their own version of disco.

It should also be noted that if Sharivari Test Presses were cut before
Alleys, everyone in Detroit who was interested had heard Sharivari
before Alleys.