All of the edits I've done (and frankly I can only speak to my own
philosophy on this) have been kind of personal.  I wanted to do
Kraftwerk's Hall of Mirrors and re-vision it as a near tech-house
groove...I wanted to see if I could make a song by The System sound
like an industrial track...I wanted to make a cheesy rock song like
'love is like oxygen' a stomper.  All of the edits I've done have my
personality built into them, they have many of my signatures: drum
programming, new or reworked basslines, etc.

     I did these things not to 'improve' them, as they were strong
tracks to begin with and tracks I liked to start out with.  I did them
in MY style-creating something for my own DJ sets and the like.

    I really don't know why others do edits (money, power, respect?)
however I to this point had not done any...most of this has been
practice for remixing for me.

     And yes, Abelton Live is a GREAT program for mangling and
re-arranging loops and samples.  The key is the creativity of the user
with the tool...a chisel in a sculptor's hands rather than in the
hands of an auto tech I guess.

And, sadly, there are so many things now that are released that DON'T
make the cut.  Most are available on mp3.  With that, I say...vote
with your feet.

      I've had a gift of time to do something I've not done before,
and it seems to be paying dividends...you'll hear about it soon!

Cheers listers!

--
fbk

sleepengineering/absoloop US