I'm a little puzzled about some of the technical details also:

What size is the hole in the middle?  Presumably it has to be large enough to
accommodate the 15mm-ish spindle CD players use?  Do
you get some special adaptor for the smaller spindle on a vinyl turntable?

& I make a CD to be only just larger than the "label" area on a conventional
modern record.  So either it only has a few seconds
playing time or (more likely) it has a playable groove extending further toward
the centre of the disc?  But not all tone arms will
move this far, some only expect to get as far as the run out groove of
conventional vinyl and their range doesn't extend beyond
that.

Or am I being really stupid & not visualising this thing correctly?

slowly...especially the