Frank Glazer wrote:
> I have a really strange, borderline stupid, question.  Does there
> exist a software package that will take input from a microphone or
> other instrument and automatically detect the pitch, note length,
> rhythm etc. of a, let's say whistled or sang musical piece?
>
> Did that question even make sense?  I am not talking about a sequencer
> that you can input the notes, but rather a music writing software of
> sorts.

Hi,

I am not sure, if I got it, but maybe you are interested in Melodyne?
http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_editor

It does not work in relatime/on-th-fly as you seem to wish (and as far
as I know), but could be helpflul when you already have recorded your sound.

Holger

--
http://www.holger-kastler.eu/
http://waschraum-productions.de/