---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marlon Bishop <marloniousth...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM
Subject: New Public Radio Documentary Explores the Black Roots of
Chicago House and Detroit Techno! (for posting)

Hello electronic music press -

I'm writing to share with you a new, hour-long radio documentary being
released this week about the history of Chicago House and Detroit
Techno, focusing on the music's role in African-American music
history. We hope you consider posting the program in your blog or
webzines (or simply your twitters!) and help get this under-reported
story out there.

Here is the link to the podcast on Soundcloud, easy to embed:
http://soundcloud.com/afropop-worldwide/midwest-electric-the-story-of

The show was produced by Afropop Worldwide, a public radio program
dedicated to music and stories from the African diaspora, with support
from the National Endowment for the Humanities. To make the program,
producers Marlon Bishop (myself) and Wills Glasspiegel travelled to
Chicago and Detroit to interview great names from the past and present
of electronic music, including: Paul Johnson, Vince Lawrence, Robert
Johnson (original owner of the Warehouse), Lady D, Maurice Joshua,
Ghetto Division, DJ Deon, DJ Gantman, RP Boo, Jeff Mills, Juan Atkins,
Cornelius Harris, Carl Craig, Brendan Gillen, Anthony "Shake" Shakir,
and many others, as well as scholars, bloggers, footwork kids, city
employees, and house music lovers. We look at the disco era, the
classic house and techno days, and also, the ways in which those
styles transformed into juke, footwork, and ghetto-tech by later
generations.

All together, we like to think we've painted a rich portrait of the
history of House and Techno music in a way that's never been done
before on a national level by a US media organization. NPR Music has
already picked this up, so we feel like we're on the right track. We
would be honored if you chose to post our documentary and help spread
the story.

To stream the show on the Afropop.org website, as well as check out
interviews, pictures and other supplemental web materials, click here.
http://www.afropop.org/radio/radio_program/ID/826

Best,
Marlon Bishop
Associate Producer, Afropop Worldwide