Skrillex is a polarizing figure in music right now. And every time he comes
up -- even if and perhaps especially if he's off topic -- a long thread
ensues.  There's a thread on IDM running to 50+ messages.

I try not to instantly hate on artists when they hit it big, but it's hard
not to. Especially when I dislike the music they make.  Often as not
they're decent enough people.

The secret to their success is that they're amazingly gifted at satisfying
the desires of a broad audience with only a casual interest in music.  They
have a finely tuned middlebrow aesthetic sense.  Their dedication to craft
is no less than that of more challenging and enduring artists, but that
craft is applied in the shallows around the ocean of actual art.

Which isn't to say that real artists can't connect with a large audience,
given the chance.  Their listeners can enjoy their accessible works without
knowing why they're better than those of the shallow panderers -- if it's
shiny they'll enjoy it. But a real artist goes his or her own way, and
doesn't worry about satisfying the expectations of the pop audience. They
end up disappointing people, and there's always a new shiny for them to
glom onto.