I don't get much about Nova either but i love his first two albums as well. Mainly because of his mood and sound, everything is damped, noisey, calm and laidback while at the same
time flooding the room with lots of bass.

He achieved to create a sound of his own that stood out a mile from everything else and
it still does.

Which doesn't mean everybody has to dig it.

Whether or not Burial does it for you is a matter of personal taste.
I'm a fan but I can't really explain why except that his tracks are
interesting for textural reasons.  And I credit him for rescuing
mournful minor chord sequences from the prog-house people.  Like he's
using the same harmonic material but he undersells them, wrapping them
in layers of echo and hiss.