In related news (and in the interest of straying further OT), I feel
that being indignant upon hearing that drug use and homelessness go
hand in hand is like putting a flashing sign above your head saying
"NEVER EXPERIENCED OR WORKED DIRECTLY WITH HOMELESSNESS."

I feel like the attitude is usually in reaction to the unfortunate and
incorrect American cultural connotation that the drugs somehow make it
less tragic or makes it the victim's fault.

Just my perception, though.
~T