On 2/19/2013 3:17 PM, maxphi...@gmail.com wrote:
http://www.spin.com/articles/skrillex-diplo-boys-noize-a-trak-detroit-techno-potato-kevin-saunderson-dog-blood

m50

This is one of my many pet-peeves, but why does everyone who courts commercial success trot out "punk" as a framework for what they're doing? Skrillex/BoyzNoize seem to produce party-music-du-jour and seems about as "punk" as KC and the Sunshine band (not to belittle KC).

It is interesting to contemplate Saunderson's comments that it used to be that techno was originally a black thing, but now has morphed into a commodity of white culture. I understand that it was bound to happen as the music took hold outside of the black community and began to be internalized and expressed in a manner more akin to local dispositions. (sorta like the black Madonna or Chinese Buddha). I try to use this line of thinking to buffer the uncomfortable thought of how Euro DEMF has become over the years, but I won't dredge up that topic again...

After watching the video, my lasting impression is that the association of Skrillex/BoyzNoize with Detroit is precarious and superficial at best. I'll give them credit for at least giving Saunderson the stage at the center of the video, but they're obviously trying to suck on the Detroit teat to solidify their street cred. Does Saunderson's allusion to the wonderbreadification of techno prove to the viewer that these guys are the realdealness after all?

I can't help but feel like this promotional video was a Situationist "recuperation" in action.

--
{}0+>|