I know this is long overdue, but I felt an obligation (misplaced, no
doubt) to post something about the festival.

First of all, I think Paxahau should be commended for having improved
the sound quality at the Underground Stage.  The area had already
begun sounding less and less murky each year, but this year I was
quite surprised by the degree of aural clarity.  I did not go down
into "the pit" this year, but the quality of the sound near the
walkways (behind the soundboard and near the bathroom) was very
impressive.

Second kudos to Paxahau for altering the orientation for the Electric
Forest stage speakers, which worked very well.  Though I wasn't keen
on any of the music I heard from that stage all weekend, the sound was
very full and rich, much more than previous years when the speakers
were facing the water and the revelers had to stand on the grass.
Dubstep bass sounded very large and powerful, which was quite nice.
Too bad the dubstep itself wasn't in the style that I wanted to listen
to. It'll be nice when perkier 2-step syncopation makes it way back
into dubstep...

Also, I'd like to thank Andrew Duke for some fabulous mixes that
helped me make it through the interminable drive through
Pennsylvania...

Noteworthy sets from the festival itself:

Alton Miller - surprisingly fun and thankfully not too jazzy
Terrence Parker - He really kept the vibe going.  His track selection
was energizing and got my hopes up for a fun weekend
Moby - I was running between stages during his set, but I really liked
what I heard.  I do hope he played "Next is the E"
Daniel Bell - a very good, groovy set.  Not as starkly minimal as I've
come to expect from him, but very good nonetheless
Cajmere - Loved the vibe!  Where are the kick queens when you need them?
Derrick May & Kevin Saunderson - Excellent, as always!  Who else could
have inspired me to dance in the rain and cold for so long?

As is true every year, the after-parties are overwhelming in their
number and variety.  There weren't any mega-events for me year, where
so many people I want to hear will be playing at a single party that I
don't really make plans to be anywhere else.  That made deciding on
which parties to go to harder, but it also meant I got to explore more
of the after-party scene.  Plus, there's always something to be said
for a night of quality party-hopping.

Friday night, I went to the House Headquarters party @ L!V Resto.  I'm
not sure who was playing when I got there, but I did hear Gary
Chandler (fun, but very disjointed) and DJ Assault (Lordy be!!).  As
always, I missed DJ Godfather.  I think it must be written in the
stars.

Saturday night, I went to TV Lounge for the first time.  Every year, I
mean to go there but end up somewhere else.  The music was pretty
good, for the most part.  Not sure who I was listening to in the
separate rooms, but it was all enjoyable enough. To tell the truth, I
don't remember much about the music, but I liked the club itself quite
a bit.  I'll have to make an effort to go there again the next time
I'm in town.

After TV  Lounge, I went to Club Waterfalls to hear DJ Minx et al.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize until the night was over that there
was more music happening on the second floor.  DUH!!!  Sadly, no Minx
for me.  The music I did hear on the main floor wasn't bad at all,
though the sound system was painfully shrill.  I almost left several
times because the treble was so sharp and loud that it hurt my ears
(not even listening to old Whitehouse is so harsh).  However, I
persisted and eventually got to hear a DJ whose set really caught my
attention.  I asked him his DJ name and he said "DJ 50 Meal" (??).
What a strange name for a DJ.

Sunday night, I was at Club Waterfalls again to hear DJ Bone and Shawn
Rudiman.  I didn't get to hear Shawn, but DJ Bone's set was truly
invigorating and I danced the entire time I was there.  Unfortunately,
I had plans to be at the Echospace/Terrence Dixon party that night as
well, so I couldn't stay as long as I would have liked.  It was very
difficult for me to leave, but it had to be done.

Echospace's set was easily the most memorable point of the entire
weekend for me!!!  I went there expecting to be bathed in their
evocatively meteorological techno-dub, but instead was engulfed in a
throbbing kaleidoscope of sound, all still on the meteorological tip.
All of this in a truly gritty, grimey warehouse setting.  What more
could I ask for?  I danced and danced and danced and danced and
danced, and even indulged my inner speaker-whore for most of
Echospace's set.  Their rhythms were much more energetic than on their
recordings and though it retained their trademark
variations-on-a-Basic-Channel-theme, there were several points where
the music morphed into something surprisingly reminiscent of late-90's
minimal psytrance  (dense layering of aural particulate and relative
independence of constituent bass lines).  Ah, what I would have given
to have been on acid for their set!!.  I get all wet and gushy just
thinking about how aurally sumptuous that was!!!!  To top it all off,
they were giving away copies of "Soundtrack for Silent World".

I'm not sure who played after them.   The music was good, but
Echospace had sent me so far out into orbit that I spent most of the
next set I spent trying to return to earth and regain my senses.

Then there was Terrence Dixon....  I'm not sure what that set was all
about.  I was really very confused by the whole affair.  Who were the
two guys with him and why did the one cover his face with a bandana?
What were they contributing to the music?  And what was going on with
the music, which seemed very out of whack and disjointed?  I'm not
sure what they were trying to achieve but it didn't quite gel, at
least not in my opinion.  Funny, because Terrence was one of the main
reasons I went to that party and I was left feeling very perplexed by
I'd heard.  I'll cut Terrence some slack, though, since his new album
is fantabulous.

Afterwards, I stopped by The Works around 6:00am and heard Silent
Servant.  I was surprised that their set was as good as it was, since
their album had left me unimpressed. It was engaging enough to give me
enough energy to make it to the party at Old Miami.

The Monday morning party at Old Miami is always very refreshing,
though by that point in the night/morning I'm fading fast.
Regardless, I do love a morning party even though it was much too cold
outside for me to be willing to stay very long.  Cassy showed up
shortly before I left, which was a nice surprise.  She's very cute in
person.  I lasted until about 10:00am then headed back to the hotel to
sleep.

Needless to say, I got to the festival very late on Monday (alas, no
Ellen Allien). The cold and rain really started to bother me, so I
left the festival for a while to go to Motor City Wine (loved the Carl
Craig cremant) then Forans for my traditional first drink of the
weekend.

Since I had a 10 hour drive home on Tuesday, I promised myself I
wouldn't stay out past 1:00am Monday night.  I went to The Works to
hear Ben Klock and ended up staying until 3:00am. It is always so hard
to leave a club when the DJ is playing a really good set. Pity I
couldn't have stayed longer...

All in all, it was a very enjoyable festival this year.  I think next
year, I'll have to rearrange my non-festival daytime activities so
that I can catch more of the artists I want to hear who are scheduled
early/mid afternoon, then come back later in the evening.