+1 on the underground sound system and visual layout, it sounded AMAZING
compared to previous years. That said, I felt there was a bit too much
soundbleed between the Electric Forest and Red Bull/Main Stage areas,
honestly. And while slightly less so, some soundbleed was still noticeable
between the RB/Main area and the Made in Detroit stage setup -- which also
kind of shocked me with the sheer amount of house music that was played
throughout most people's sets. It created a sort of cognitive dissonance
for me, based on the talent booked this year and what I've come to expect
from the Made in Detroit area at previous festivals.

Now, I'm an old-school and now-reformed househead who has no trouble
singing along with 99% of the anthems (it's a soul thing, a body, thing, et
al), but that's totally NOT what I'm flying to Detroit to listen to every
year. I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't nearly as much minimal
or even militant-sounding techno as I'm used to being exposed to --
especially from new (or at least undiscovered-to-me) artists -- at this
year's Movement. Nicole Moudaber's set was one of the standout surprises
for me; hearing a set like hers that blows me away and I instantly fall in
love with is one of my favorite things about the festival, and for that,
I'm extremely grateful. To hear a woman playing such a hardcore,
relentlessly banging set made me both proud and hopeful that the whole
"female DJs are just gimmicks" mindset will eventually fade out of the
public's musical consciousness, though how long that'll take is anyone's
guess...DJ Minx had her audience on lockdown as well, but I thought Magda's
festival set was kind of "meh" this year (though her afterparty set
delivered everything I'd hoped to hear earlier that day, so I really
shouldn't complain...).

Despite having tickets to the "Bass Ain't on The Boat" afterparty (because
hey, The Upbeats! They flew all the way from NZ - when am I gonna get THAT
opportunity again?), it got relocated to a less pedestrian-friendly spot
than the original boat setup had been, so the only one I actually made it
to was the Life and Death Detroit gig on Sunday at St. Andrew's Hall.. and
oh my GOD, so glad I had my earplugs in!! Nothing can compare to being
massaged from my scalp to the soles of my feet by a well-engineered wall of
sound in the wee hours of the morning. It took me a couple hours to realize
there was a different stage setup downstairs, and I was pleasantly
surprised at the level of sound distinction/speaker muffling between the
two (even moreso because one was essentially stacked right on top of the
other, with the venue above packed to capacity with people dancing and
everything that wasn't tied down vibrating along with the beat).

Cheers to all the sound engineers, artists, volunteers and talent bookers
who pulled this year's level of professionalism off -- especially the
massive sound, camera and lighting rigs, nicely designed visual set-ups,
streaming video/sound recordings via be-at.tv, Red Bull software/hardware
demo room near the Underground stage, etc. Plus, everyone booked at the
festivals and the only afterparty I went to seemed to be playing during
their assigned slots, and each artist's gear looked like it got swapped out
in a timely and safe manner between sets. There weren't any last-minute
schedule changes due to talent not being able to get into the country or
missing a flight (that I'm aware of, anyway), which I know has caused some
headaches for Paxahau in the past. All of the stuff mentioned above
requires massive amounts of coordination, party-throwing experience and
teamwork to pull off seamlessly, and I know from personal experience how
hard that is... especially by day 3, when everyone's sleep-deprived and
hungover to the Nth degree. :)

Didn't see any people passing out from heatstroke this time around, and the
crowd seemed a bit smaller than it was during my last visit in 2011, which
was... what, nearly 100k attendees? Curious to know how many people
actually went this year... at any rate, it was a vacation well-spent!