Starting in about 1998, the promotion crew I was involved in, Rotation
(Iowa City) brought Terrence Parker to play shows in Iowa City. We brought
him in at least 5 times.  Since then, other Iowa City promoters brought him
4 or 5 more times. The last time he played here was IIRC 2012.

Throughout that period, TP was the gold standard of 'name' DJs coming
through -- he always showed up, he always drew enough of a crowd to more
than pay his guarantee and expenses.  Furthermore, he was a sincere,
lovable guy, who would stand around for an hour in the rain after everyone
got booted out of the club to talk to fans.

He's always been a friend to me personally.  To the extent that I am a
judge of character, I've always thought he was honest, sincere, and 100% on
the level.  Throughout his career, he's tried a lot of different things to
try and make a living and not all of them are successful.  He moved to Las
Vegas and worked as the music director of an evangelical church; he's tried
a lot of different record labels and ways of communicating.

To some extent you could say Terrence was almost corny -- the intros to his
Mix CDs with the Warner Brothers cartoon samples; calling himself DJ
Extraordinaire.  But anyone who sees him play know that he's one of the
real people, a guy with a great ear for house music, great DJ skills, and
the ability to read a crowd and make them feel fantastic.

I have no idea what the deal is with his current difficulties.  I know that
a lot has happened in his personal life -- he has declared bankruptcy, lost
his home, gotten divorced.   That last has to have wounded him the worst --
he was NOT a player, and loved and respected his wife deeply, and I'm sure
still does.

I have not contributed to his DJ fund, primarily because after putting two
kids through college and one through graduate school, I'm broke as a joke.
 I also do not think that he will raise the kind of money he's looking for.
 But I have no doubt he is trying to dig himself out of a deep hole and
restore his reputation.

Whatever the reasons for his difficulties I believe in Terrence's talent,
character, and good will.  I have no doubt this whole mess of the last two
years in his life have been devastating and deeply humiliating for him.
 I'm not sure the IndieGoGo thing will work but I know why TP is trying it:
 He really believes in the goodness of people, and is hoping his fans can
get him back into a better position so he can do what he's best at.

When someone is down, they find out who their friends are.  The music
business is harsh, and real friends are rare.  If you are a friend to TP,
it's important for you to let him know that, even if you can't help him out
financially.