These are the records I picked up, all of which I'm very happy with
(possibly the first time I ever had no buyer's remorse once I got the wax
home). All of them are excellent. If some of the reviews are shorter, it's
b/c I've only had a chance to listen to them all twice (once on my Mom's
stereo at low volume). A number of these records I'm totally clueless about,
so I'd appreciate additional info if you see anything that rings a bell. So
here we go, in no particular order.

LUOMO - VOCALCITY: Won't say much about this since it's all been said. Rush
to get it. This man can do no wrong it would seem.

CLAUDE YOUNG - FADING THE EDGES EP - DETA (???): This record was cut at D+M
and it would seem to be the third release on this label. Angelic on the A
side is slick. This is very complete techno, and Claude Young incorporating
all of his prowesses in one track. It has the warmth of "A Multiplicity of
Ones and Zeros", the subtlety of "Brother From Another Planet" and a whole
lot of other ingredients I've never heard from him before. Fading the Edges
seems to be a very approporiate title for this release, but I think you'd
need to hear it for that to make sense. The other two tracks on the B side
would be worth the price of the records on their own, but Angelic is such a
phenomenal track it really stands out. Have I missed all the reviews on
this, or am I just lucky to have picked up a copy of this early on? Angelic
is possibly be the most accomplished techno track ever made. It sounds like
he worked on it for *years*. Buy this, listen to it carefully, buy another
copy and treasure them. For those who have heard it, could you imagine him
spinning doubles of it? It could last for hours. Oh, wait! I was so enamored
with Angelic I didn't really give the B side its just due. Wow! This was
really a find. The two songs on the B side are Krossing and Signals. That
aptly describes the technique he's using. The attention to detail on
Krossing is unbelievable. He is managing so many things going on at once but
it doesn't get cluttered, and these songs completely switch gears multiple
times within. Claude Young has raised the bar a couple of feet with this
one. Although these songs are of a reasonable length he manages to keep them
so succinct you want to listen to the whole thing again once you're done.
Signals is probably the least appreciable of the three - and the most
abstract. I feel the same way about it that I feel about some of the more
ambient tracks on Mills' releases. You know why you bought the record,
you're satisfied with the track(s) that fit the bill, and you pay less
attention to the remainder. At any rate, this song would stand out on his
other releases, but he outdid himself with the first two songs.

CARTBRIDGE - CITY OF 3000 YEARS - TAKA (FRANCE?): This is a varied 12" with
a couple of tracks with severely tight quantization. Some techier house and
some straight techno. "Insert", the first track is particularly melodic. I
know nothing else about this one, but I recommend it. A great balance of
Rhythm and Sound. You can hear strong dub influences over choppy house beats
with techno elements to boot. The only track that I don't care for as much
is Phasing Chant.

HERBERT - LEAVE ME NOW (PROMO ONLY) - SOUNDSLIKE (UK): Exactly what you'd
expect from Herbert and Dani Siciallano. Somehow he's managed to roughen up
the music a bit on the title track, and she compensates by somehow getting
even more warmth out of her voice. I wouldn't have thought it possible.
She's probably my favorite singer out there now, and the lyrics are always
great too. The first B side is more downtempo, but in Herbertish way, not
really like Doctor Rockit. Vocals are by Shingai Shonivar who sounds like
she could go toe to toe with Dani Sicialano judging by this track. An
excellent 12" if you can track it down. My copy says promo only, but it may
have had a proper release too. I dunno.

TIGERHOOK CORP. - WE ARE THE FUTURE/WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY - THE END
(UK): This is standard The End fair. Pretty deep stuff from The Chi-Saw Gang
, Deep C and Randall Jones. The only of those people I know is Deep C from
his Wamdue affiliation. This is probably the least inspired of the records I
bought, but I still think I could find a place for it in a deep house set.
Kinda David Alvaradoish in Peacefrog mode, but more rhythm focused than on
the production.

E.B.E. - SQUARE FOUR - SOLID TRAX (US): This would seem to be the 8th
release on Solid Trax judging by the matrix. E.B.E. is Lucas Rodenbush from
either Alameda, Santa Clara or San Jose, whom I've never heard before, but
I'll make it my business to find out more. This is excellent Tejadaish house
with a techy edge to it. It's got all the right emotion in the right places.
It sort of reminds me of the thx stuff, but with slightly more prominent
beats.

PEPE BRADDOCK - 6 MILLION PINTADES: You can actually hear some of this on
Satellite. I like the track they have posted on line, "Life" quite a bit,
but it's not as good as, "Ghost", in my opinion. Ghost is a nice slower
percussive house track with this amazing orchestrated horn section used
sparingly, to perfection in a way I've never heard it done. Life is some
surprisingly techno'ed stuff. Very deep, and very Detroitish melodies on
top. Kind of reminds me of the David Caron ep on Eevo Lute. Mr. braddock has
really matured from the early Trankilou stuff, although I like that too.

YO LA TENGO - DANELECTRO - MATADOR (US): This is more for the IDM/Indie Rock
fan, but is well worth your listening oriented buck. I like every track, but
the Nobukaza Takemura stands out in my mind. It's epic. The Kit Clayton
remix is extremely cool if nothing else for taking the Yo La Tengo samples
and staying faithful to them, while making it sound distictly Kit Clayton.
Somehow the mixture of the two reminds me of My Bloody Valentine.

KRAFTWERK EXPO REMIX - EMI (GERMANY): I haven't listened too closely to this
yet, if for no other reason, I know I'll love it and it's not going
anywhere. The Rolando mix is very Jaguared. The two UR mixes are very
different, but excellent. The Francois K and Rob Rives mix is cool. It
reminds me of some of the Telex remixes. Orbital remix is whack, but it's
refreshing to hear them use a 4x4 beat.

FRANKIE KNUCKLES PRESENTS - TRAX (US): I picked this up at Reckless Records
in Soho on my second trip through. I bought it hoping the "Your Love"
version would have the Candi Staton vocal (my quest to find this record
continues), but it has a different vocal that's cool (but not as cool as
Candi Staton). Happilly enough, it cost me just over $10, and I got Mr.
Knuckles takes on "Baby Wants to Ride", "Move Your Body" and "It's a Cold
World" to boot.

SURGEON - BODY REQUEST - DYNAMIC TENSION (UK): I've only heard this in the
store so far, but I'd classify it as a cross between Force+Form and some of
his other Dynamic Tension stuff. I'm pretty sure this was discussed pretty
thoroughly already, so I'll call it quits.

MATTHEW HERBERT - MISTAKES - TRESOR (GERMANY): The Demonic Version is
excellent gritty, glitchy techno with a distinct Herbert flavor, but
different than anything I've hear him do before - including Wishmountain and
Docktor Rockit stuff. I think this will be heard a lot in the coming months.
It's very adventurous, but I think it will be just accessible enough for
techno DJs to use it. The Housey Houey Version may not have the same appeal
for house DJs, but it would be really cool to hear someone mix the two
together. THey're quite different versions. The album version is somewhere
in between.

BENJAMIN WILD - TEASER - PERLON (GERMANY): It sounds pretty typical for
Perlon. Teaser has some excellent bassline work. This would sound great
loud! It's so subtle. The harmonics on the bass line creep into the upper
octaves occasionally, but they just give you a taste of it. The Dimbiman mix
of it does not do so much for me. Kinda plain. Ausklang is less than
inspiring too. Verscheibungen on the B side is defintely unique and groovy.

DAVID ALVARADO - SUNSTONE/DEVOTIONAL - PEACEFROG (UK): This is a welcome
recovery after the lackluster, extremely pricy double pack on Peacefrog from
last year. He seems to accomplish what he wanted to do with that on this
12". It's sunkissed for sure, with bondary-breaking production as usual. I
think I will love this record once I give it a few more listens.

M.R.I. - TO BE HONEST - FORCE TRACKS (GERMANY): This is what you'd expect on
Force Tracks. Very heady tech-housey stuff. I envision the new Vladislav
Delay (can't remember the name now) sounding similar to this (but probably
better). Next to the Luomo records this sounds slightly less impressive, but
next to almost any other record in your crate it's very good. The B sides
are more original and a bit dubier. Great bassline work. Perhaps with all of
these great records it seems just one element shy of matching up. I'm sure
it would hold its own just fine in the mix though. The B sides are actually
very musical.

MILLSART - EVERY DOG HAS IT'S DAY II - AXIDS (US): It's all been said
already. I'm only left wondering if there'll be a 2x CD release. That would
be nice to have too.

That's it. I'm happy. Tomorrow it's time to put this stuff to work. Perhaps
a new mix is on the way?

Tristan

np: Claude Young - Fading the Edges EP - Deta
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102
"FrogboyMCI" on AOL Instant Messenger

"Most people have the cataract.
They do not see what they look at.
Dum Dee Dum Dee Dum Dee Dum..." - Stereolab