Much of the vaunted 'creative DJ'ing' is largely a phenomenon of the past.
Producers make records that are made for DJs, so the only real skill
required is beat matching.  That's why any tracks I do for vinyl will
have mixin, track, and mixout sections. If I don't do that, I'll pay
the price in record sales.

Creative DJ'ing was largely a product of DJs manipulating records that
were made for radio or home listening in ways that made them work in
the club context.  While this isn't yet a completely lost art (watch
Terrence spin some time), younger dj's often have no concept of finding
30 seconds of dopeness on an otherwise unsuitable record and working it
for 5 minutes with doubles.

Turtablists like the X Men or Cut Chemist still operate in this mode.
Cut Chemist in particular is the master of working with flea market
vinyl to make something new.

I'm not saying that there aren't 'modern' DJs that don't show some
serious creativity in what they do. Steve Lammers' mixtape has made
the rounds in Iowa City and everyone here loves the way he drags in
unlikely sources for effects.  Claude Young is capable of amazing
things.  And Carlos Souffront deserves to be a star for the way he
pulls things into a set.

But there's a lot of know-nothing kids who give themselves way more credit
than they're due. If all you're doing is playing records, don't get so
full of yourself.

kent williams -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://jump.to/cornwarning -- Iowa's First Techno Record Label
http://www.mp3.com/chaircrusher -- tunes