-----Original Message-----
From: Cyclone Wehner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313 Detroit <313@hyperreal.org>
Date: Sunday, December 03, 2000 1:48 AM
Subject: [313] Gemini

>I am looking for info on the elusive Gemini for a little article I am
>writing. Does anyone have any experince watching him DJ, ideas on his
>releases etc. He just brought out The Music Hall this year which has a
kinda
>Detoit/Chicago feel and of course he's released material on Planet E (not
>sure of all the titles).

I've been a huge Gemini fan for years, although I can't say I've followed
his newer output. For being known as a house DJ and producer  I think he's
always found sneaky ways to incorporate other elements, whether it be the
very dubby sounds of "A Blue Night" on Peacefrog, the
tech-house/speed-garage (turning both on their heads) of "Movement of the
Body" on NRK, or any of the examples of incorporating techno: Imagine a
Nation on Relief, Spirits Vibe (can't find the record now), the Planet E
release and countless others. I think you have to consider him to be equally
important as Derrick Carter and Cajmere when you look at the second wave of
Chicago house. I do.

Flame retardent: when Movement of the Body came out, it was around the time
that tech-house and speed garage were both catching on. He found a way to
incorporate elements of both into something new, while avoiding the
constraints of both those sub-genres. One of my favorite Gemini tracks hands
down.

BTW: Thanks for the write-up on Garnier. Appartenly he played an
underpromoted show in DC while I was in Europe (ain't that how it always
happens?) so it was good to get a vicarious experience of it.

Tristan
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102
"FrogboyMCI" on AOL Instant Messenger

"Feeling Like A Kid Again... My Eyes Are Glued to the Floor.
I Hope I Mumble Goodbye As You Walk Out the Door.
UhOhUhohh... UhOhUhohhh... UhOhUhohhh...
The Damage is Done." - Yo La Tengo