> Fittest", in particular) and the early 70s Miles Davis stuff; "Bitches Brew"
> is perhaps the LP that kick started that deep jazz funk fusion off, though I

this album has some very deep funk on it imo. believe the hype.

perhaps also with some relevance to 313: "On the Corner" for the "repetitive
beats" tangent or "Dark Magus" for the brief drum machine-y bit.

how about Herbie Hancock's "Rockit"?  :)

but yeah, Deep Space is great. Flanger is nice too.

> many have been mentioning L. Naverre..St.Germain //Rose Rouge check it if
> havent yet

much as i like this track, i kind of agree with Philip McG.'s earlier
comments: do a bunch of blue note samples and jazz-y solo riffs etc in a
techno/house track make it jazz?

perhaps the genres overlap in their emerging alongside a social phenomenon
of sorts  - jazz began as a form of dance music, right? - as well as the
combination of european and african musical elements (to a greater or lesser
degree).

i saw a programme on improvisation a few years ago (I think it was
produced/presented by Derek Bailey) where house djs in New York said that
their sets are not usually planned beforehand but take form through
interaction with the responses of the dancers (as well I guess with other
djs and whatever inspires them at the moment).

chris t