Same here: thanks to the guys helping me out with the record stores. I found
the prices of new releases to be a bit too high with the exchange rate being
really high for us poor Belgians right now. As Phred said I also don't like
the fact that you have to ask for the records before you can listen. I
usually take a stack and start listening.

The Music and Video Exchange stores saved the day. The Camdan one is very
good, but so is the one on Notthing Hill Gate (Hi Johny!) where I found
Drexciya on Warp. I paid 15£ for it, a figure I normally never would pay for
a record, but this was a worthy exception. Other recs include: extra copy of
Gravitational Arch of ten (crazy about that track!), Themes from Vapour
Space, Public Energy: Slumber (two bad copies at steep prices! :-(  an old
Bandulu, From Our Minds to Yours 1, Garnier's Shot in the dark, Justin
Berkovi: Charm's Hostel, Orgue Electronique, Mistaken Identity, K-Hand etc.
Sorry, can't think right now, mind is blurred and I'm starting to get ill
just like my girlfriend is right now.

Does anybody know who Mistaken Identity on Synewave is? It think it's The
Advent. Cisco also releases under Soul Destroyaz on that label, but the
Mistaken Identity sounds awfully Adventlike if you ask me.

John out

P.S. How's Amsterdam Phred? Did you catch your connection in Brussels. I saw
you had about four minutes to catch it...

Thanks to babydiddy and others for the record shop suggestions.
I've been to about 15 over the last few days (couldn't make it into
Smallfish because they were closed last Friday), but my faves were:

1. Vinyl Junkies, the owner J-P (Jean-Paul, I think) is originally
from France and quite a character,  The only place that like American
stores lets you preview new and used right off the wall and the boxes.
(Just about every other shop in london I tried, you either couldn't
listen to anything, which is the policy with the used record areas;
or you have to request the staff to pull records off the wall or the
store play-copy box.  A fair bit of Detroit stuff tending toward both
the KDJ/Moods and Grooves vein and electro.  Lots of jazzy UK house,
including very good back catalogues for quite a few labels (I finally got
a listen to most of the Shaboom releases I've missed, for example).

2. Music & Video Exchange, which has the best second-hand/throawaway
bins.  No listening stations but there are plenty of good obvious picks.
I think there are four of these now, and everyone agrees that the one
in Camden Town is the best.

In general, I found record shopping in London to be a chore. , and it
gave me increased appreciation for the good American stores like Record
Time, Tweekin (SF) and so on.

phred