On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 05:03:53PM -0000, Jonny McIntosh wrote:
> On the phasing/flanging front, I was listening to "Ostinato" off'f Herbie
> Hancock's Mwandishi album. If you check the high end percussion on that,
> it's phased such that it sounds like when you've got two copies locked and
> just tap the pitch control either way with your fingernail. The up and down
> effect is due to running two tapes together or something, I guess, and
> sounds so much better than the wack "phaser" effects you get these days
> with, say, one of them Pioneer mixers. Check it out. That is why phasing
> ain't what it used to be in my books.

Yea, tape phasing (running two copies slightly off) and tape flange
(manually slowing one down a bit and then letting it catch up) sound
much better than most of the digital equivalents that are out there
today.

That being said, analog stomp boxes can still do wonders with these
effects...  My old roommate had a Mutron BiPhaser (the key to the
Smashing Pumpkins phase) and it sounded absolutely amazing...  Way
better than any VST plugin could ever sound...  Very lush and warm.

--
:: atomly ::

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.atomly.com | http://www.mp3.com/atomly