I usually don't drop in on these types of discussions, but this one caught
my attention.

  I work with electronic music production/Djing as well as other forms of
media production (web/graphics). Before my electronic music days I played
all kinds of instruments (guitar, drums, bass, piano, horns, etc...) so I
have a background in traditional forms of "quantised" melody and music.
  I was fascinated for a period of time by the fact that when listening to
relatively simple minimal tracks (minimal as in harder techno minimal, not
explicitly minimal music) my mind, groove, movement, was swayed by melodies
often not present in the tunes themselves. Not that I was off in some
fantasy realm making fluffy trance realities, but there were melodies
implied or suggested by various rhythmic elements of the music, or by the
mind of the listener themselves. I also found that many of the melodies were
opposing dualities. The experience of being swayed between two poles. This
can sometimes be found in simple bass lines moving between two primary
tones, notes, or keys. Sometimes a third step thrown in for transition. I
think it also has a lot to do with the four/four structure. Also, out of
repetition the mind has a need to create variance. John Lilly performed an
experiment with a tape loop of the word "cogitate" being played to a room
full of psychologists for about 15 minutes.  They were instructed to record
the various word changes every time the tape changed. None of them knew that
the tape was a static loop.  About 90 percent of the group came back with a
list of at least ten changes. This was an official psychological experiment
using other psychologists as the lab rats. How elementary for the mind to
need to split a repetitive non-melody into the opposition of two. Moving
from the static "one" of nothing to the newly created "two" of something. I
was always curious about this. I think much of the melodic projection is
also based on the timbrality, tuning, and harmonics of the instruments (drum
sounds, synths, etc..) being used. Therefore the melodies and shifts seem
intimately related to the actuality of the piece itself and therefore more
inherent, as in exisiting, yet not quite manifest.
   Parmahansa Yogananda, an old spiritual teacher from the east used to talk
about inventions like this. He would say that the "potentiality" of the
invention existed inherently in the fabric of reality. Its physical
operation was in line with the laws of engineering and physics. To him the
inventor was a person whose inner workings had become so highly in tune with
this potential structure in reality that they become the tool to manifest
it.
   Quick comment on the DE9 reference. I agree completely that Rich's use of
the effects on the tracks brings to light through expression a kind of
transitional state between two things (w/ reference to the use of delay).
This transitional state is quite possibly the result of years of listening
to mixes. Mixes falling off, exposing the difference between the two
records, and then realigning. But the over use of this effect CAN become
overly manifest, overly static, and a little boring. No diss to Rich. Trust
me, he's one of my utmost favorite DJs of all time.  But I remember hearing
him a couple of times when the delays seemed to be used so often, and at
such an obvious transitional point in the break down and mixing in of the
next record that it gave me a not so faint reminder of a time where parties
were a night of snare roll cresendo after snare roll cresendo, this being
the primary exciting agent of the peaks in tracks. You know how boring this
got. Build up, build up, build up, then nothing....or a raised cut-off or
resonance. Of course those with skill, such as Rich, know that a build up is
nothing if there's nothing to build up to! Anyways, just my two cents! Have
fun with it. -

DBIT
http://www.music-in-formation.com