The DJ you mentioned that has designed a way of annotating scratches
is Radar from Phoenix AZ.  He's very relevant to this topic more
because of his performance style - one turntable and a sampler.
(He's also one of the few "turntablists" known to mix techno).

Anyway, I was blown away when I saw Radar a few weeks ago with
Rob Swift.  Aside from the deftness in how he samples and loops
vinyl-based sounds on the fly to layer up rhythms and crescendos,
the fact that he is exploiting technology in a novel way, IMHO,
has everything to do with what guys like Swift and the X-ecutioners
are essentially doing. I.e. maybe this is a hip hop thang, but
taking whatever is available to you, whether it be using a sampler,
doubles of the same vinyl, or whatever effects built into your
mixer, a footpedal to control distortion on your stratching
(I think the Stratch Pickles thought of that), resting a vibrator
on the deck to feed vibrations into the needle or just wiggling
a record over a certain sound while selectively fading it in,
(i.e. scratching), OR just thoughtfully mixing two records together
in a way that sounds good...then at a point I think an
artistic line is crossed where the DJ (or whatever you want to
call that person) is adding something to the sounds that goes
beyond the sounds of the record that is playing... and
there in lies the artistry of the DJ.  if something someone is
doing is artistically valid, does it matter if they fit some
old definition of what a "disk jockey" is?

the comment about a painter vs. someone who hangs up predefined
sections... that analogue has long been used to compare a
traditional musician to the DJ.  I.e. the DJ not as a directly
connected soloist but instead as a sound collage artist. To turn
this concept around to deride the Final Scratch user is pretty
ironic.  And ultimately misses the point of the DJ's artistic
essence - a technology-based media manipulator.

DJG

* http://www.bombdiggity.com/ * Free e-mail and special offers:
300MB of FREE SPACE at http://www.freediskspace.com/Signup.asp?cust=AFFL444