I pretty well agree with Dale's sentiments on this,
and was disappointed at all the geriatric nostalgia on
the list. There is no doubt in my mind that dance
music will move on from vinyl and turntables, though
to what I'm not sure. Safety Scissors and Sutekh gave
a hint over the weekend. Both played sets from their
Power Books, using, I understand, a program Sutekh
helped write called Max MSP. I don't know anything
about the program, but what came out of the speakers
seemed really close in flow and spontaneity to a dj
set. Can anyone shed any light on the program? How
does it differ to a program like ProTools? Whatever,
the point a few people have made and one I agree with
is that the sound that comes out of the speakers is
more important than how it is fed in. And Safety
Scissors and Sutekh had awesome sounds spilling out.

Cheers

sens

--- Dale Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
>  Is the master photographer who releases the shutter
on his/her camera to take a picture not an artist?
Painters of the day argued they weren't, but the world
has since thought different.  What about digital
artists that use the keyboard and mouse on their
computer to tap into their minds and create imagery
that before could never be realized.  Are they not
artists?  Strangely, early on it was the photographers
who said they weren't-- "How can this be art?  The
machine does all the work." --repeating the very same
criticisms that were used to slag their own medium
when it was first introduced.

>Hypocrisy...  What about electronic producers
overseeing an ensemble of gear full of 'buttons' with
a 'computer program' in the center of it all? 99% of
the music discussed on this list was created using
these technologies.  It is just another tool, making
part of the process easier, so the artist can expand
their vision even further than before.
>Just like all of them, there will be a lot of shiza
artists (DJs) barely making a tangible piece of work
(set) out of their gear, but a tasteful audience can
discern a good artist from just a craftsman.  Can we
not tell the difference between a vacation snapshot,
and the work of Robert Mapplethorpe?  It will be the
same with DJing.  Developing a tool to make
production easier means that the standards of quality
for that medium have to be raised as well, and don't
expect to hear the same DJ sets you've always heard.
Expect more.  Every tool or technology has its own
individual quirks that, over time, the users get
creative with, and give a whole new credibility to
that same technology. When digital imagery first came
out it
was all pixelated and choppy looking.  (Ewwww...)
Everyone tried hard and fast to advance resolutions
and quality to make the imagery look as 'real' as
possible, and they achieved it-- but it's funny
that now everyone is hungry for the old low-res
graphics, and half the typefaces you see on Mtv lately
are pixelated--qualities unique to that medium alone
that have grown to be accepted.  It's just evolution.
New tools are developed, and new skills evolve to
master those tools.  Slowly they are assimilated...

>Of course, there are some that would argue that the
DJ is nothing but a relay between the producers--the
people that actually wrote all of the music the DJs
play--and the audience... while the turntable is doing
all the work!   Can you say 'live set'?

>               very big ;)
>
>               Dale

http://cars.yahoo.com.au/ - Yahoo! Cars