darw_n wrote:

> Instead of "oh, I am going to take this hook, and this break down and create
> something new",

Which is only *one* style of DJing...

> it has become *exactly* what a wedding or radio DJ or a POP
> band does, they play *exactly* what the crowd wants to hear...

This can be done just as well with the hiphop approach, i.e.
take-a-hook-here etc. approach. Every genre has bad DJs.

> They could not understand that it can be more that just playing records...

Playing almost whole records together can be just as valid a DJ style in
the sense of creating something new. Perhaps not in the 'creating new
sounds' sense, but definitely in the 'creating a new experience' sense.

Two words: Theo Parrish. Or David Mancuso, check the book 'Last night a
DJ saved my life' for a description how he perfectly created a mood,
playing records from beginning to end, even allowing silence between two
records.

Otto