I don't see what the big deal is about staying in Detroit.
Downtown is just as dangerous (nor not) as most any other big city,
from what I can tell, meaning it's fine as long as you're paying attention.
Maybe less dangerous, since much of it is deserted.

There are definitely dangerous areas outside of the downtown core.
But what I have found is that pretty much wherever you go in this
great wide world, people treat you fine as long as you are respectful
and mind your own damn business.

I must admit getting a little cranky about the attitudes around this.
Got a ride to my mom's house in northeast Washington, DC a couple years
ago, and you know how people will lock the doors on their cars when they
drive into "those parts of town"?  My friend did that coming into my
old neighborhood, despite the fact it's long been one of the safest
places to live in DC.  I held my annoyance to myself.  Maybe the fact
that some (not all) urban neighborhoods are blessed with stability,
reasonable safely, convenient location, and friendly neighbors who give a
damn about where they live, is better kept secret.

phred