> get the jeff mills live at liquid room cd.
> extensive use of the 909 and
> performed very well.

Do you mean Liquid Room 2000, because he doesn't use
the 909 on the 1995 recording of the Liquid Room.

> >I'm wondering what it sounds like
> and how it compares
> >(sonically, complexity-wise, etc.) to Hawtin's use
> of it

  I have a handful of live mixes where he uses the
909, and I find his style tends to be a little
groovier than Hawtin's pounding approach to it.  I
don't really have a preference though, both use it
well from different angles.

   Kevin