> RE: two-step garage, not all of it is commercial
> or obvious and it's a shame that the hype is
> impacting on perceptions of the music as a whole.

I don't think anyone would knock Masters at Work for sounding commercial, so
it's hard to see why anyone could knock 2-step for the same reasons (okay,
comparing a group with an entire scene is a bit dangerous to begin with).
When it's done right though it's pure adrenaline, and really isn't that far
from the original American garage scene back in the day -- just a bit more
spastic and hyper-programmed.  It's about all I've been listening to
lately -- my faves so far are the Pure Garage compilation mixed by DJ EZ or
any of the Locked On sets (Best Of or Sound of the Pirates).  Admittedly,
they're best for those who like a hook to go along with their incredible
programming/production...

I'm not so sure about the Wookie and MJ Cole albums -- I think they're great
producers, but I just wish they wouldn't go the route of the hyped producer
in a new stylee showing he can take on all sorts of things *other* than
2-step.  The compilations are still the perfect buzz.

.john.