Phonopsia wrote:

> last week. I really care about whether or not underground music producers
> can continue to support themselves via their artistic efforts. What I'm
> seeing argued is that we should favor the tyranny of the majority over the
> tyranny of the minority, when *we are the minority*. I think that's
> backwards. We need to quit talking about major labels and think about our
> little world.

This is a truly noble sentiment.  However it has no basis in the
capitalist world in which we operate.

Nature is the most successful system ever "created", evolution being an
integral part of that.  Capitalism mostly follows this design but a
little quicker.  Now don't start arguing about capitalism and evolution
blah blah....

The point is the world has suddenly evolved.

If your main predatory enemy has just evolved a new way to eat you, you
can either sit there and whine and say "hey that's not fair you can't do
that" or you can evolve a counter-response.  That's what pushes
evolution in nature and innovation in capitalist systems.

As I said, it's a noble sentiment to want to protect the artists who
make the music we love from the ravages of Napster (salt) but the
reality is that the cat is not only out of the bag, but the cat now has
a just sprouted a rocket pack on it's back, and whining at it to
un-evolve isn't going to help.

Tosh