> True, vinyl -- or at least new vinyl -- has higher audio dynamics
> than CD, but then these enhancements can only be realized with a
> proper (and more importantly, properly _tuned_) PA.  Any other
> differences between vinyl and CD are due to mastering; processes
> which in turn can be encoded to a higher bit and frequency digitization
> and saved as files.

I think alot of the quality of the audio goes out the window after digital
quantizantion. they say it's an exacte replicas but I don't see how it can
be. particular in the lower bit rates. the high end jest become swishy or
staccato like. I think it's due to the fact the digital picture is very thin
in the 16k and up. (but most people can not hear above 18k as an adult
anyways) as with analog vinyl the signal never stops. but I don't want to
start a dig/analog debate I sure that it has  been play out on this list in
the past.

now I do know that older vinyl the highest frequency is 16.kHz  17 if the
engineer is good. but in the 80's they had some more break through in riaa's
curve for mastering vinyl to get a better bass response and I think they
also boosted the high end up to around 18khz or 19khz? but I don't remember
the audio class I had were we talked about this we pretty boring and I
sometime drifted off to the innerzone.

and as for mp3's the sound quality is not very good at all. unless you
encode at a high bit rate and then whats the point there huge but I really
don't want to go into my dislike of the audio qualities of mp3's. that
debate has been played out here.

Scott Laakso   ---
-------           imajin/ imagine
http://www.mp3.com/i_majin