[Giles Dickerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]

> And I'm speaking as someone who's been in the strategic marketing
> business for almost 7 years, why create such a negative stir about an
> event that makes its profit from people's enjoyment? If they are a
> "promotion" or "event management" firm, how could they be so ( delete
> expletive here ) naive as to send out these kind of negative concepts
> into the minds of the public a week before their precious show? Which,
> incidentally is so valuable to them that they are announcing the
> dismissal of their creative director a week before the show?
>
> I have one answer and I've seen it before :
>
> Big ego's and short sightedness.

there another answer, and it's probably an even more siniter one: they're going
after a target audience that they know will not only not care about the carl
situation, but will never even hear about it. given the number and placement of
advertisements for this year's festival, i think it's safe to say that they
have their sights set on a much bigger fish than the techno scene, or even the
serious dance music/electronic music community as a whole.

i can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of people who hear about
this on mtv, fox or (for chicago people) q101, b96 and gci, have never heard of
carl craig and will never know how things went down between the organizers.

how much do you know about the beginnings of and the relationships between
the people who organized lollapalooza, for example?

i'm not blaming any individuals for this, and i don't know much about the way
the festival was/is/will be run... but i can pretty much guarantee that to
whatever extent large corporate interests (read: ford and others) have an
interest this, that is the degree to which they will seek to appeal to the
largest and richest possible audience, even to the direct disenfranchisement of
the actual music community.

matt hellige                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://matt.immute.net