>> i think its probably more relevant to the drexcyia mythology and the
>> drexcyians being sea-bottom dwelling descendants of africans who were thrown
>> overboard from slave ships en route to the colonies
>>
> Jamil Ali wrote:
>
> Where'd you find out about that?  Sounds interesting.  Can you give us a
> link or something?

I just did a web-search for "the middle passage slave" on google.com and
came up with a heap of sites.

Last year I read a book which mentioned it. It's called "Flash for Freedom!"
by George MacDonald Fraser, an historical novel about the Atlantic slave
trade in the mid-19th c before the Civil War. It's a great read (very
addictive) and there are notes at the back with references to proper
historical texts for further info.

I dug it out and found this:

note 30. 'Slaves certainly were thrown overboard on the approach of patrol
vessels (see the case of the _Regulo_ which drowned over 200 in the Bight of
Biafra, and the reported case of the clipper captain who was said to have
murdered over 500 by dropping them with his anchor chain, both quoted in
"The Shameful Trade" by George Kay)'.

happy reading,

Chris