I don't have the exact year of that Soccio album in front of me, however the name of the album is "Face to Face" and isn't too hard to find. There IS (or was, for that matter) a 12" for "remember" that is kind of rare; it has a remix/re-edit that is way better than the original (IMO), and was more likely the inspiration for "Black...".
Both came out on Quality records.

.JM.

> What's the original track that Mills' "Black is the number" samples?
> (the distinct bassline)
> I've heard the original on many WBMX-mixes, and there's couple new releases > that use the sample also. It's some 80's industrial/synth group for sure...

It's a song called "Remember" by Gino Soccio. Great f**king track! And no, it's
not an Industrial/Synth-Pop thing. Gino Soccio was part of what would be
considered Italo Disco. However, he actually hailed from Quebec. I think it's
from around '81 or '82.