Hi Fred,

I have no personal or professional ties with United-Devices, but I do
know that the commercial projects are opt-in only, meaning that you
decide which projects you will or won't work on, and their client does
give you a graphical representation of the work that's going on.  Of
course, without public sourcecode, that might be faked, but this is a
large venture launching with a very worthy non-profit cause.  If you
choose to work on their for-profit projects, they will donate to
non-profit organizations in your name, and reward you.  Their
for-profit compensation is not clearly laid-out, but as they make very
clear on their web-site, it's opt-in only, meaning that if you don't
tell them you want to participate in a particular project, you won't
get a work-batch for that project.

I have personally opted to work on both types of projects (hoping that
my donation will benefit charities like make-a-wish), but so far my
computer has recieved nothing but cancer research jobs.  I admit, I
haven't been doing it long, but it looks good to me.  The client code
seems to work really well - meaning that if I don't have the display on
my screen, I can't tell it's running at all, and I've been monitoring
network activity - it only connects to the server when it's uploading
batch jobs.

I agree they should release their source code, but the company is a
for-profit venture which believes in intellectual property, so it's a
toss-up.  They may eventually release it, or they may not, but until an
ambitious non-profit project embarks on a cause so worthy, I'll still
support UD.  They seem to be doing a very good thing, and they seem to
be doing a fairly good job of it.

- eric

=====
--
download my music:
http://www.raw42.com/cgi-bin/featuredartist.pl?artist=341

help us search for a cancer cure with your CPU's idle time:
http://www.mp3.com/stations/globaldanceculture