depending on the pa and how difficult if is or is not for me to drag my
rig out to (ie: is the booking out of town or is it local)
but my live pa consisits of two set ups:

dedicated hardware set up:
yamahaw su 700
korg er-1
2 art tube compressors
2 multi efx units )boss se 70 and yamahaw emp 100)
1 mackie 1202-vlzpro

laptop set up:
macintosh g3/500
1 macally supershock II usb game controler and a mouse for midi control
max/msp (running a modified  version of kit (josh) claytons sloopperpatch)
or reaktor (running a mod of robert (monolake) henkies 4dex patch)

both work great and depends on what type of sound you want and the type of
flexablity your interested in both have its pros and cons. I think
I have equaled amount of crashes using my hardware to using my laptop.
and as long as Im not doing things Im not supposed to be doing with my
machines nothing crashes.

for an example of a live pa by my self as naw using both (first 15 mins
software and a laptop the rest using my hardware set up)
go to http://techno.ca/clonk/audio then choose the link
[naw aka neil wiernik - live pa] and you will get your example of a pa
using software then hardware both have zero glitches with no problems ...
its all really a matter of opinon on what you like to use...

enjoy...

Neil
aka naw
aka dropfile