Here's the way I've always percieved these two artists:

Moby - Uppity snob. Back in the 60's he would have worn all black with a
black beret, smoked cigarettes with a long stem filter, and he would have
performed in coffee houses with a set of bongo's and a sitar. He would
expect no one to vibe on his level of "deepness" except those in his inner
circle. Moby is the type of artist that's entirely too wrapped up in
himself. He has the "I'm MOBY!!!" attitude, as if any of us should care.

Fat Boy Slim - Beer guzzlin, XFL watchin', Monster Truck pull (SUNDAY,
SUNDAY, SUNDAY.... BEEEEE THERE!!!!) type of guy. He honestly appears to
have fun with his music and could really care less if you like it or not...
as long as someone likes it.

This is how they appear to me through interviews and the like. I've never
met either of them and I may have it all wrong too. Moby may be a pleasant
individual one-on-one and FBS may be the pretentious twit.  But in the
grand scheme of things... Who CARES???!!! Why do we even give a f_ck? "Moby
said this and that about so-and-so", "FBS is headlining over who?", and
"They're obviously catering to the mainstream, they've sold out to the
corporate machine" are the types of discussions that come up on lists like
this one too often.

Why do we care?

If none of us here on 313 likes Moby, FBS, Chemical Brothers and their
bretheren, then why not leave them out of our discussions. Let's, instead,
discuss who's pushing the envelope of Techno, Electro, or House. Let's
check out each other's playlists and discuss the finer points of particular
releases. Let's continue to inform each other of various events (without
clowning line-ups and locations). Let's keep moving forward.

(BTW - I happen to like Fat Boy Slim's  "The Rockafeller Skank". It kinda
reminds me of something you would hear on The Beastie Boys' "Paul's
Boutique")

Benn Glazier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 06/24/2001 03:44:54 AM