I know this deals with hiphop rather than techno...but this does concern
music in the 313 so I thought you might be interested...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 6:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: An Open Letter to Big Tigger-DHHC (please send to all media)

AN OPEN LETTER TO "BIG TIGGER"

Dear Big Tigger:

    On behalf of the Detroit Hip Hop Coalition (DHHC) and the entire
Michigan
Hip Hop Community, we would like to welcome you to the Metro Detroit area.
As both a television and radio DJ/personality, you are well known in the
Global Rap/Hip Hop community.  Based on your previous actions and
contributions to Hip Hop Culture, it is readily apparent that you possess a
love for both Hip Hop Culture and Rap music.  Your reputation precedes you
as
a person who will stand up for the Artists and Participants in Hip-Hop
Culture.

    We are quite sure that you've been made aware of the tensions between
your new employer (jlb) and many members of the Michigan Hip Hop community.
The differences have now been well documented. For the past several years,
your new employer has been very successful in the dual tasks of  ignoring,
snubbing, or refusing to give airplay to all but a few Detroit or Michigan
based independent Artists (regardless of requests) and offering nominal
support to the metro Detroit Hip Hop community that make up its listening
audience.

    This situation has become even more exasperating in recent years,
chiefly, because  Det/Mich. artists have generated national and
international
acclaim, (Slum Village, Royce 5'9, SUN, Binary Star, Esham, Paradime,
Teamstaz, Natas,  Proof, D12, etc.) yet due to the lack of commercial
airplay, they remain relatively unknown in their own city.

Tigger, We pose a simple question to you;

"How can a self proclaimed "urban music" station broadcast out of Detroit
(Motown) yet ignore 'significant' Detroit artists??"

We don't Understand that one either.

The DHHC adopted a firm stance against this anti-independent Det/Mich Artist
platform and organized several successful protests/events and a continuing
boycott of your new home. Our efforts garnered the attention of the national
and international Hip Hop Community and Press.

    With endorsements ranging from such Hip Hop notables and luminaries like
Chuck D, Afrika Bambatta, Davey D, Hip Hop Journalist/Author  Kevin Powell
along with pioneering Hip Hop  organizations like The Zulu Nation and
RockSteady Crew, among others, the DHHC went to work (pro-actively)
organizing and building bridges throughout the local Hip Hop community and
beyond.

    At the same time, we adopted the arduous task of attempting to organize
the estimated 4,000 Hip Hop artists/groups in the Metro Detroit area alone.
Because of the enormous anxiety among the artist community due to
'repercussions from the boycott, This organizing was being done in what
could
best be described as a 'chilly climate' due to forces in the 'urban radio'
community.

    DHHC members have been mischaracterized, mislabeled, and maligned by
these same forces in the press and on the airwaves. We have been classified
as "Frustrated Artists," "Mad Rappers and Producers" etc.

One former (jlb)DJ went as far to say on the morning of our initial protest
that the reason the station did not play Detroit Rappers was because
"Detroit
Rappers had no talent!"

We found this to be an 'interesting response' for a variety of reasons a few
of which we'll list:

    -DHHC members participate in live Hip Hop venues in the metro Detroit
area 5-7 nights a week It was very rare that we saw any (jlb) employees  or
any (jlb) promotional units at any of these venues.

-Another reason stems from the Jan. 2001 issue of Source magazine, a
publication widely regarded as the 'bible of Hip Hop culture'. In this issue
four of their top prospects for 2001 (Slum Village, E-Dub, D12, Royce 5'9 )
were from Detroit, however at that time, none of these artists/groups
received any significant airplay on (jlb)

We pose another question:

"If jlb is "where Hip Hop lives in Detroit, but they have "limited contact"
with Detroit's Hip Hop community, and are apparently "out of touch" with
their own homegrown talent, don't they really serve as the place where
"Hip-Pop" or Corporate-Hop" lives?"

It appears that way to us.

Leading Up to Now: Earlier, in the letter, we mentioned that our actions
were
successful, and to a large degree they were.  We can measure that by looking
at the counter-steps your employer has taken since the initial protests.
These moves are widely seen as counter-measures to the actions taken by the
DHHC and serve as flimsy veils to cover the fact that Det/Mich/Independent
Artists are still largely ignored by their home station. To this day, your
station refuses to give credit to the DHHC, but the 'artists and community'
know the true story.

First, (jlb) ignored our efforts, but once the 'press begin to run with the
story', they (jlb)  denied it, feigning ignorance to the fact that they
played the same twelve (12) songs all day, every day. They promptly brought
up their charitable work (Toys for Tots, Coats for Kids etc) as subterfuge.

While we salute their charitable efforts, we observed that the primary job
for a radio station (particularly one that bills themselves as 'the voice of
the community) would be to:

a) address community issues and

b) give airplay to recognized, talented, community artists.

Frankly, at the time, we had very little of the former occuring and nothing
of the latter.

Next: (jlb) repeatedly ignored  DHHC representatives (which acts as a
conduit
for over 4,000 Metro Detroit artists) efforts to earnestly sit down and meet
with them and gave 'token' spins to selected artists, effectively attempting
to pit them (and their sponsors) against our burgeoning movement. Flatly,
this did not work.  We are proud of each and every Det/Mich/Independent
artist/group and DJ that receives commercial airplay (even on  jlb) and we
support them every step of the way.

Currently: St. Andrews Hall (Fri. nights) has served as the epicenter for
the
Detroit Hip Hop Scene now for the last 8-10 years. It has served as the site
for  many independent concerts, Open Mikes,  MC Battles, B-Boy/Girl Jams and
Festivals.

    Over the summer of 2001, a 'disingenuous alliance' between  St. Andrew's
primary booking agent and your station (now both owned by ClearChannel
Communications) emerged with what to some has amounted to a 'hostile
takeover'
 of the (Fri.) Hip Hop night and a blatant, shameless  attempt to appear
that
(jlb) has/had any interest in Det/Mich Hip Hop culture.

    One of the few good things that has emerged from this last occurence is
that 'some'Det./Mich Rap artists get to perform in front of larger
audiences,
however we question if this will translate into the nurturing, support, and
more importantly AIRPLAY/ ROTATION our artists need to survive and prosper.
We would be pleasantly surprised if this was the result.

Who are we: Tigger, we are a growing multi-cultural alliance composed of all
segments of  Michigan's Hip Hop Community standing alongside prominent
members of the Global Hip Hop Community.  We have emerged as a direct result
of being shut out on our own airwaves of a culture we played a viable role
in
creating.

We are a Pro-Artist, Pro-Active, and Pro Hip-Hop Culture based organization.
We are not frustrated artists (not all of us anyway).

We are Promoters, Lawyers, Journalists, B-Boys/Girls, Graphic Designers,
Husbands, Brothers, Parents, Sisters, Wives, Elders,Scholars, Teachers,
Factory workers, Union Members, Voters, Activists, Tax Payers, and Music
lovers.
We love our city/state and our proud of its long tradition of independent
artists, thinkers, and record labels.  This is a labor of love for the vast
majority  of us, not just money. Tigger, I'm sure you can understand and
appreciate that sentiment.

What do we want: We want (jlb) to be all it can be by taking an honest,
active interest in the "Hip Hop community." We want the same 'excitement'
that they demonstrate when they so enthusiastically  'work' for their
corporate sponsors. We want it to stand (at least in part) for what it once
did, in the words of (jlb's) former president. "Community, Community,
Community!"

    Our initial protest date centered around the 40 year anniversary (1961)
when (jlb) first added Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Shop Around), to
the
playlist/rotation, thus becoming one of Motown's early hits.  It's a tragedy
that our modern day Berry Gordy's are escorted out of your station before
they even get a chance.

WE REACH OUT TO YOU TIGGER, AS A HIP HOP AMBASSADOR FROM A 'NEUTRAL'
SITUATION, WITH THE RESPECT OF BOTH SIDES.

HELP END YOUR STATION'S ARROGANT DENIAL AND REFUSAL TO WORK WITH THE MEMBERS
OF THE (DHHC) WHO REPRESENT MICHIGAN'S HIP HOP COMMUNITY.  HELP REPLENISH
THE
HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE WHO LEARN ABOUT THE PROTEST AND TURN OFF (jlb) EVERYDAY.

YOU CAN BRING A FRESH OUTLOOK/PERSPECTIVE TO A STATION THAT SUFFERS FROM
"THE
MOST TARNISHED REPUTATION" IN THE HIP HOP WORLD.

THE EYES OF THE HIP HOP NATION ARE UPON YOU.  CONTACT US.

TO (jlb):

We have relaxed our efforts somewhat this summer in anticipation of a change
in programming, but do not believe for one second that the lull has weakened
our resolve.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT:

With each promise, your management makes to meet with us, and then promptly
breaks it, we grow stronger.  (at this date, about 15 broken promises and
counting)

For each young artist/group that pours their blood, sweat, and tears into
recording a demo or professional CD and is rejected without a 'honest'
listen, our ranks increase.

For every "team seminar", you sponsor (directly or indirectly), by taking
hard earned money from 'desperate' artist/groups and their families with the
'false hope' of being signed by a major label,  we expand.

This is a new day in Detroit Hip Hop and the 'Divide and Conquer' tactics
that have served (jlb) in the recent past (Playing a few artists to pacify
the masses) are over.  You will have to work with the DHHC.  We look forward
to working with you, but until that time,           DON'T SAY IT, PLAY IT!!

In all sincerity,
Members of the Detroit Hip Hop Coalition
cc: Detroit Hip Hop Coalition members
    <A
HREF="http://coalition.mainpage.net";>http://coalition.mainpage.net</A>
    (313) 767-9214  or [EMAIL PROTECTED]