Plus I'd wager that Richie's last tour, the one where he used FinalScratch so much, was boring was because FinalScratch till can't be used and abused the way a record can. Tt took him more time to find a MP3 track than it would if it was on vinyl in his bo, so it works best with tracky drum loops. MP3 you have to recoginze by name but records you can identify with other visual cues (color, symbols, etc.)) which are much faster for your brain to process. Could you see Jeff Mills drop a MP3 track and then accidently take the FinalScratch record off the deck and throw onto the floor behind him...or into a bin with tons of other scratched up records? OOOPS! That's a final scratch if there ever was one.

MEK

From: "M. Todd Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313 List" <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] ANyone know about Finalscratch (maybe OT)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:28:21 -0400

Jayson,

Your forgetting another large point, not only must every DJ spend a large
chunk of money on records and equipment already, but in order to utilize
final scratch you have to have a mid ranged laptop, the software and the
hardware.  To many DJ's adding another $2000-3000 to the already large
equipment list will probably deter most local and small time DJ's getting
into something like this.  It will be a long time before Final Scratch
becomes the norm for a party or a club.  FS' audience is limited to high
paid DJ's and tech headz.  Record labels don't really make money off large
name DJ's (since most get a bunch of stuff on promo), and tech headz are
probably already using Traktor to mix mp3's.

Cheers
todd