Currently there are way too many hands in the pot for vinyl to disappear from DJ use...first of all it's part of our culture and I doubt that DJs will let it die. Technology is cool but we are hunters...we love the smell of a record store and our radar can pick one out miles away. Which brings me to the record stores themselves - they are our friends and they have supported our dirty habits for years. Then there is the network of mastering techs, engineers, pressing plants, distributors, record labels, etc. Vinyl ain't going away no matter what technologies come along. Plus, for every bad record there are a hundred bad MP3s, and I'm talking utter poo. At least pressing vinyl requires a bit more dedication to each pressing. I'd say that the majority of people who press up a record for the first time probably won't do it again because it requires more sweat and tears (and money) than they are willing to put into it.
FinalScratch is a great tool but it's not the FinalAnswer.

MEK

From: atomly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] ANyone know about Finalscratch (maybe OT)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:02:56 -0500

Have any of you ever released a record, though?  There's something so
visceral about it that uplading an MP3 to a website can't replace.  When
I make a track and upload it to my site, that's cool.  When I master it,
send it off to have it cut and get back a test pressing, there's just
something amazing about it.

When you press vinyl, you get a real feeling of acomplishment- you feel
like you actually produced something real.  It's like having a craftsman
type job versus working in a service industry.

In the same way, there's something much more rewarding about finding
Shari Vari in the cut-out bin at a store than there is about downloading
it from some 16 year-old's FTP site.  And on top of that there is the
fact that MP3s have no real packaging.

Sure, it's a bull-shit, old-school elitist attitude, but it does have
some validity to it.  About two years ago, I would've been sitting here
arguing for MP3s and the digital revolution, but there's just something
that's not the same about it.

I also find it ironic that one of the biggest supporters of Finalscratch
is also one of the strictest about the form of his releases...  Richie
is a nut about being in control of his stuff (anybody remember the
incident with Free Radio Furthur recording his set?) so it seems kind of
amusing that he would support something like this.

--
:: atomly ::

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.atomly.com/ | 877.741.3571