Lifefest was a mixed bag for me. I had a really good time, but didn't really
get all that I'd expected going in. The ladybug attack and the 10 minute
downpour were an interesting twist too. I get the feeling there were a lot
of last-minute obstacles the organizers had to attend to, and all of that
considered, things went off quite well. Gene Farris was a treat. Like Greg
said, his set felt a bit long, but I enjoyed it so much, I didn't really
mind. Theorem played some excellent material, none of which I recognized.
Gene Farris and Theorem were definitely the highlights in my book. DM on the
2nd stage was really impressive for a bit too. Derrick May's cancellation
was a bit dissapointing, but it's hard to feel completely deflated when you
have the rest of the lineup playing still. The Stickmen didn't get to play
long enough. Juan Atkins played a damn fine set. The mixes were short, but
not sloppy at all, and he played such a diverse set, with so many gems that
you had to love it. Carl Craig didn't have as adventurous of a set as I
would've hoped but still quite enjoyable. I wasn't feeling Richie Hawtin's
music much, but it was a really long day. After feeling the effect of minor
sunburn I think it would've been hard for anyone to please. But as I said at
the beginning, I had a lot of fun, and everyone else seemed to be having a
good time too. I think that has to be the measuring stick for this event.
There were a number of obstacles that couldn't have been foreseen, and the
event was really comfortable throughout for a privately funded venture of
this scale.

Tristan
http://ampcast.com/phonopsia <- Music
http://phonopsia.tripod.com <- Mixes, pics, thought, travelogue & info