I'm actually hoping to see the entire book, since it covers the two places
I know the best as a technotourist -- SF and Detroit.

The description of the Motor was pretty funny.  I guess the Brits haven't
ever heard of circle dancing!

As for shopping for Es at Haight and Masonic, well, that only shows they
weren't smart enough to ask twice.  That area (the "upper Haight") has
been putrified for years.  I hardly ever go there now that Ameba
(the old clothing/record store, not the giant Amoeba record store in the
converted Haight St. Bowl) is gone.  Anyway, the good small record shops
are in the lower Haight -- Tweekin, Zebra, Open Mind -- and the cool bars
like the Top, Niki's and Mad Dog in the Fog, where the expatriates from
the UK and Ireland watch soccer (er, "football") via satellite on the telly.

It ought to go without saying, of course, that anyone who buys drugs on
the street -- esPECially in the Upper Haight -- is asking for disappointment,
or worse.